Pages

Sunday 3 March 2013

Enjoying Roald Dahl

One of my favourite activities is reading, and Roald Dahl is one of my favourite authors. I've read heaps of his books and it's really hard to choose my favourite one because they are all really good. My favourite character is The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) because he is kind and caring, and he talks funny. I have four Roald Dahl dvds and I love watching them again and again.

The BFG


This term in English, I read The Twits by Roald Dahl and learnt the language features (nouns/noun groups, verbs/verb groups, direct speech, text connectives, pronouns, adverbs/adverb groups, and prepositional phrases) that authors use in their writing.

For my assessment task I had to write a new chapter for The Twits using the language features that I learnt. At first, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do it but in the end it got finished and I was really proud of my writing. I also had to write an Art Brief to go with my chapter.

This is what I wrote:




The Hole
By Grace Hill

Mr Twit was extremely angry at Mrs Twit for the sticky beard trick. He wanted to get his revenge.

The next time Mrs Twit was out shopping, he dug a hole in the backyard. He made it deep enough so that it would come up to Mrs Twit’s neck, and just a little bit wider than Mrs Twit. Then he filled it with sloppy, muddy water and one hundred revolting leeches from the creek. Lastly, he covered the hole really, really neatly with fake grass.

The next day, the Twits were gardening in the backyard.

‘That patch of grass looks greener than the rest,’ Mrs Twit told Mr Twit suspiciously, pointing to the patch of fake grass.

‘It’s just some green paint I accidentally spilled there two days ago. It will have dried by now,’ Mr Twit said politely to her.

Mrs Twit walked over to the patch of grass and stepped on it to check. Instantly, she fell into the hole.

‘Arghhhhhhhh, you mean, fat, smelly, old scoundrel, get me out of here this instant!’ Mrs Twit shrieked.

‘Not unless you apologise and say please,’ Mr Twit replied smiling.

‘No I won’t!’

‘I guess you’ll have to stay there then.’

‘Fine then. Sorry and please,’ she said miserably.

‘Ok then.’

A minute later, Mr Twit threw Mrs Twit a rope and pulled her out. She then realised she had lumpish leeches all over her entire body. Mrs Twit let out an ear-piercing scream.

‘Can this day get any worse?’ she cried.

Mr Twit, knowing that salt kills leeches, tipped an enormous bag of it all over Mrs Twit, laughing so much that a little bit of wee came out in his pants.

The End

Art Brief: A line drawing of Mrs Twit being pulled out of the hole with a rope by Mr Twit. Mrs Twit is muddy with leeches all over her. Mr Twit is laughing and Mrs Twit is crying. It is a sunny day with one really big cloud in the sky.




1 comment:

  1. Fantastic Grace! The BFG was one of my favorite books when I was in primary school <3
    Love big sis x

    ReplyDelete